Tai Chi With Attitude

A modernistic americanized approach to a meditative traditional Martial Art. Holistic, but without the New Age mysticism, Taoist, yet pragmatic. A completely different, real-world approach to an esoteric and difficult art.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

TAI CHI CHUAN AND SELF-DEFENSE

This is one of those topics that bears translation.

When self defense is mentioned, the automatic assumption made is one of battling one (or more) malevolent attackers with lightning fast kicks and punches (sometimes punctuated by some delusory Matrix/ThunderballZ levitational/magical movement: thanks, Hollyweird!).

Fact of the matter is: the one negative issue here, is that it takes some time before an individual can use TCC as a form of self-defense. Unless you have some real-time training in another martial art prior to practicing. That being said, here's a couple of pieces of advice for the ladies:

  1. First, invest some time in BAMM training, or Krav Maga, or something equivalent, and

  2. Second, I repeat the advice Bruce Lee gave on women's self defense: "If attacked, stomp on his foot, kick him in the shin, the knee, the groin, hit him in the solar plexis, the throat, gouge his eyes and slap him over the ears. After all this, run like hell." (paraphrased).


That having been said, I still say TCC is a viable tool for self defense. For instance: stress greatly impacts our reflexes. How so? Well, since we have an inborn fight-or-flight syndrome burnt into our neural pathways, being as we live in a civilized society, we are forced not to employ our natural responses. If my boss yells at me, I can't very well fight or flee, can I? I could, but it would probably have a negative impact on my job. So we suppress our instinct, to conform to society. It then becomes an artificially-induced response: when we see a ball coming at us, or drop something of value, the first reaction is to think about it: the second, to formulate. By then, the ball hits us, or the china shatters. Usually, what I term the 'flinch reflex' kicks in. We jump (automatic repression of response), we think, we fumble. TCC (or any MA worth its salt, for that matter) teaches us to respond, and respond appropriately.

And self defense isn't neccessarily combat: the car zooming in on us in the crosswalk: we do the three responses ingrained, and guess the result. Likewise, the falling china: a simple response, rather than jump, think, fumble will likely save the dish from shattering. The falling box, the heavy mailing tube leaning and falling on us, can be responded to as well.

And sometimes, the best response is to stand still, allowing the antagonistic movement to sweep past. Or to move an inch, instead of a foot.

Which is one reason TCC is done in slo-mo: it relaxes us.

I recall an episode from the TV series Kung Fu (no, the old one, from the 80's): deputy is some young guy, carrying on about Kwai Chang Caine, working himself up in a lather, talking to the sheriff inside the county jail. The sheriff is an older, laconic fellow, leaning back in a chair, boots up on the desk. He advises the younger fellow: "You should learn to relax." The deputy slaps gun leather. The sheriff has his gun out. "Helps your reflexes," drawls the sheriff.

So, in short, avoid jump-think-fumble (JTF). Simply respond. More likely as not, the natural response will be the appropriate one.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I tried to reply to this yesterday, but blogger was acting up again.

    What is BAMM training, or Krav Maga? I love Bruce Lee's advice.

     
  • At 12:07 PM, Blogger Krystalline Apostate said…

    Hi Ocean Lady.
    What is BAMM training, or Krav Maga?
    BAMM is actually at www.bamm.org. It's a Bay Area (S.F) training program for people to learn self-defense.
    I don't know if you're in the BA or not, but I'd guess there are equivalent courses available around the country.
    Krav Maga is an Israeli MA. Everyone in Israel learns it. Highly effective, from what I understand.
    There's also Hsing-i, which provides faster results, & is also an MA.
    I love Bruce Lee's advice.
    Yeah, was a big fan of BL in my youth. Got me started in the MAs.

     
  • At 1:59 PM, Blogger Krystalline Apostate said…

    udonman:
    I'm sure there's something where you're at. Hsing-i, Krav Maga.
    Shop around a little, get back to me on that.

     
  • At 11:04 PM, Blogger Krystalline Apostate said…

    walla walla spot:
    If you are interested in Krav Mega, you should also look into "Non Classical Gung Fu", developed by Jesse Glover (Bruce Lee's First Student).
    I've looked into Krav Maga, as well as La Systema. I'm also very familiar w/Jeet Kune Do (not trained in it, but I have a first edition Tao of Jeet Kune Do).
    I've actually cross-trained in Kali, Pa Kua, & Hsing I. I settled on Tai Chi as my primary (& only) art.
    I'm always open to comparing notes, training w/others, etc.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home