Tai Chi With Attitude

A modernistic americanized approach to a meditative traditional Martial Art. Holistic, but without the New Age mysticism, Taoist, yet pragmatic. A completely different, real-world approach to an esoteric and difficult art.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

MORE CLIPS - FU STYLE AND YES! A CHEN FAN FORM (FINALLY!)

This first clip is of my sifu, Dr. Johnny Jang, at De Anza college a few years back. He's doing the 36 Fu Style Tai Chi form. Note that it seems to be more flowery than most, but the differential is, is that it combines Yang Style Taiji with Pa Kua Zhang movements. It's exceptionally more difficult to do. I've won a medal or two with this form.



Here's something completely different: a Chen fan form!



It used to be, there was no such creature. As of this writing, the only place I can find that sells this VCD, is a company in Hong Kong (on eBay). The lady's name is Ma Chunxi. It's exceptionally good. It combines movements from Chen forms one and two, with some of the jian (sword) moves. I'm teaching it to myself, and it is very hard, even with my background.

And yes, I find it odd that of all the styles, Chen never developed a fan form, common as the fan is in China (and how beastly hot it gets over there, to boot!).

Once I absorb it, and practice it often enough, it gives me an excuse to get out my metal fan that I bought, a few years back. I was going to learn a Pa Kua fan form, but it got put on the backburner. Not to mention that the metal fan is much heavier, and harder on the wrist than a standard fan.

Watch, enjoy, ponder, ask if you have a question or two.

And good playing to you all.

5 Comments:

  • At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Cloudhander! I've deleted my 0ceanlady blog. I'm now going as Sword Girl at:
    http://www.lothlorien.wikaba.com/wordpress/

    :-)

     
  • At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The final addy is:
    http://swordgirl.wikaba.com/

    I really like the Chen fan; it is very interesting.

     
  • At 3:24 PM, Blogger DAIXINYI said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 3:25 PM, Blogger DAIXINYI said…

    Cloudhander, this is sort of off topic, but I did not know how to get hold of you or more specifically, Dr Johnny Jang.

    Someone contacted me and said in the latest issue of "kung fu magazine", that he performs the "Tiet Kuai Zi" aka Iron Chopsticks.

    I am a Dai Xin Yi Chuan practitioner and are wondering where he got taught this form? as I know not many people teach Dai Xin Yi Chuan, even in China.

    I heard a rumour that Shang Yunxiang Xing Yi Chuan practices a variation of it, but I have never had a chance to see it.

    Can you please get back to me asap regarding this,

    Yours sincerely.

    Jon Dyer.

     
  • At 5:19 PM, Blogger gypsyatheart said…

    Thank you so much for including the Chen style fan form video on your site. I just heard of it today and was thrilled to find your video.

    This is one of the most beautiful forms I have ever seen, and I will learn it if it takes the rest of my life!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home