Tai Chi With Attitude

A modernistic americanized approach to a meditative traditional Martial Art. Holistic, but without the New Age mysticism, Taoist, yet pragmatic. A completely different, real-world approach to an esoteric and difficult art.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

YOUTUBE - BE A VOYEUR!

One major necessity for the Tai Chi player, is to watch other players, especially high-level practitioners. Sometimes, a question gets answered, sometimes a nuanced mechanism opens a door or a window in the mind, or sometimes, you (or I) are simply doing a movement/posture wrong, and a correction is needed. Or just sometimes, the flow is too fast, or too slow.

I have recently become a fan of www.youtube.com, as it has a lot of great Tai Chi clips.
This first one (as well as the second) is a very old clip of Chen Xiaowang demonstrating a nine minute demo of form one (yilu). It's Laojia (I do Xinjia, I kinda skipped the Laojia phase). When I saw how long it was, I thought maybe I was going way too slow, but the practiced eye will note that some extra repetitive movements have been left out.



This second one is form two (ErLu), about 5 minutes long (this is one that I am DEFINITELY doing too slowly).



SPECIAL NOTE: if you only have dial-up, it's probably not a great idea to view. Upgrade to DSL or Broadband, as it's getting cheaper all the time.

4 Comments:

  • At 5:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Cloudhander! It is very interesting to see the different styles. I'm hoping to check out more after I've learned all of the forms of the Yang style. It's great to have the visual aids. :=) I LOVE the music!! It is so beautiful!

    I've been going by Patchwork Anahata too to let you know jic. ;=)

     
  • At 1:10 PM, Blogger Krystalline Apostate said…

    Hi OC:
    There's actually quite a few clips on Youtube. Pretty cool.
    Using a book & a youtube clip, I managed to teach myself the 56 Chen style. Of course, I have been doing it for a few years now.

     
  • At 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's impressive!!! I'll have to check it out when my classes are over with.
    Ocean Lady

     
  • At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice clips, great blog too!

    But I think CXW may have just been speeding up the form a bit for the sake of performance, not demonstrating that that's how it should be practiced.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home